In our ultra-modern hyper-technological age, it’s hard to imagine a time when refrigeration was a novelty. And yet it wasn’t all that long ago, as this December 1928 ad for ice blocks attests.
Only 80 years ago, ice had copywriters gushing:
- Ice was “the life of the party”.
- Ice clinked merrily in time to music.
- Ice sparkled brightly.
- Ice added flavour and appeal to food and drink.
- Ice made out-of-season foods available all year round!
- Ice was good health insurance, keeping food pure and untainted.
- Ice was efficient and inexpensive.
You could even send away for a free booklet called Ice – the Life of the Party. Inside you would learn “modern ways of enjoying ice, including proper uses of ice in table settings.”